Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Lights: Christ & Coca-Cola

I was checking out some of the Holiday Lights... oops, I mean, "Christmas Lights" on youtube, just for fun. And I ran across this one. 64,000 (or, maybe 65,000?) LED lights to the Coca-Cola song. Sounds fun.

So the title page says, "Putting Christ back into Christmas." Huh? Come again? With the Coca-Cola song?

Now I'm a big fan of Classic Coke myself, but.... I just find this "Too Funny"... And I guess I've never been a fan of the phrase, "Putting Christ back into Christmas." It seems rather presumptuous. And hypersensitive.

But anyway, have fun watching the show... and then scroll down for a few more comments about "Putting Christ back into Christmas."



Here's what I think, for what it's worth: God's grace goes far beyond what we can imagine. We can see God's grace in the Mpls Holidazzle Parade, in a humble but delicious assortment of baked goodies shared by a neighbor, in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, in a meal with my kids, in a cheerful greeting at the check-out counter at Barnes & Noble, in the face of a Muslim child putting a quarter in the Salvation Army kettle, and in a homey Budweiser television commercial featuring the Clydesdale horses pulling a sleigh with a Christmas tree. And yes, grace is found in 64,999 LED lights dancing to the Coca-Cola song! At least it's better than Pepsi.

But here's my main thesis: Grace is most certainly deeper and broader and higher than any "Christmas" which "needs to be saved" by zealots who are offended by an innocently-uttered "happy holidays to you" and yet are not offended by oppression or injustice. If you really want to put Christ back into Christmas, join the prayer of the Christmas angels:
Glory to God in the heavenly heights;
and on earth...
on earth where there exists
so much conflict
and violence
and hatred...
on earth...
Let there be peace on earth,
and let it begin with me.


Does this make sense at all?
Whack me with an old fruit cake if I'm way out in left field on this one. :))
But I think I'm right.
The only question is whether I've expressed it clearly enough. ;)

Grace and peace...

No comments: